St Peter's Residents' Association
Local Information

July 2017

If you have any useful contact information let us know and we will include it here.

Member of Parliament: Rosie Duffield MP Labour, Canterbury

Council: Canterbury City Council Tel: 01227 862000

Council Local Information Web Site: Canterbury Local Info

Local Councilors:

Westgate ward

Michael Dixey Liberal Democrat Tel 01227 456 626

Simon Warley Labour Tel 07875 862 203

Northgate ward

Alan Baldock Labour Tel 07901 627 724

Jean Butcher Labour Tel 01227 456 375

Neighbourhood Policing Team

Police contact website

This is the general link to police contacts in our area. Once inside the site you have to enter you post code to show details for your ward. Most of our area is Westgate ward but some is in the Northgate ward.

To ring the local police use 101, which is a chargeable general non emergency contact number, and you will be redirected as appropriate or you can use 01622 690690 which is the direct number of the Maidstone office. If you are reporting a crime then ask for a crime report number. There are no longer direct mobile contact numbers for the individual officers and PCSO's. There is a general email link.


Local Public Safety Unit

Tel: 289260 (open 9:00am to 5.00pm) This is the local Public Safety unit which is a joint venture between the Police and the City Council for all Anti Social Behaviour incidents. These include Litter, Rubbish, Fly-tipping, Graffiti, Vandalism, Groups hanging around, Nuisance neighbours, Intimidation, Harassment, Rowdy behaviour, Abandoned vehicles, Street drinking, Aggressive begging, Crack houses, Drug dealing, Prostitution and Kerb crawling.

Local Services 

  • Rubbish (any problems, especially rubbish on streets and paths) - ring 0800 0319091 Serco

  • Obstruction of pavements by advertising signs etc. Kent Highways Dept at Maidstone Tel 0845 824 7800   (Canterbury City Council have nothing to do with this!!).

Vehicular Infringements

  CPZ infringements - ring 862429 if non-permit holders are parked in your street
  Abandoned vehicles - ring 862203



  • You can get free removal of Graffiti on private houses up to 4 times a year and up to twice a year for commercial properties. First, preferably, but not essentially, ring the police on 01622 690690 to report the incident and say you are a member of Neighbourhood Watch and get a crime report number. The police and the council maintain a database of affected properties which they use to monitor trends and for use as possible evidence. Then ring Serco on 0800 031 9091 or Street Scene on 862211 or email

to request the work. You will have to fill in an indemnity form which they can send you or you can download it from HERE They will probably carry out the work within a few days. They will paint over rendered finishes and use a combination of paint stripper and high pressure water jet for brickwork.

Refuse & recycling collection (Street Scene)

  • 862 211 City Council

Dog fouling

  • 862 253 City Council Street Scene

Noise nuisance

  • 862 202 City Council Environmental Protection


  • 0800 031 9091 Serco

Street Lighting, Pavements, Potholes etc. Again, this is nothing to do with Canterbury City Council!

  • 0845 824 7800 Kent Highways Agency (An incident report number should be obtained for follow-up)

  • South East Water - was Mid Kent Water (your water supply company)

Web Site is: South East Water

South East Water Leak Line

  • Ring 08458 50 60 60 or 0800 614366 to report leaking water mains

Some local web links

Gulbenkian Theatre

Marlowe Theatre

Kent Messenger Group

Invicta FM radio station

Kent County Council Around Canterbury Web Site

Canterbury Festival

cantweb Lots of local information and links

Residents Card holders offers Two for one meal offers and special discounts. You have to register.

Some interesting web links

Kent Trading Standards Web Site (Look at the 'Kent Act' which regulates the sale of second hand goods)

Network of Residents Associations

Noise Abatement Society

Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Bill (extra powers for Local Authorities re: noise, lighting, litter, graffiti, cars etc)